Here are some helpful guidelines to a healthier diet.
- Eliminate sodas and sugary drinks. Instead drink water, herbal teas, and coconut water. These will provide more nutrition and hydration.
- Eat 5 – 7 meals per day. Most people only eat a couple large meals during the day, which will destroy your waistline. Eat smaller meals, more often during the day.
- Start with protein: Vegan athletes must get ample amounts of protein. Good sources are beans and lentils, nuts and nut butters, and whole or ancient grains such as quinoa and cous cous.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables. Keep the fruit to earlier in the day, and eat veggies all day and night.
- Don’t try to go on a 100% strict diet. I tell my clients to be 80% on, 100% of the time. That means that 80% of the week will be spent eating a clean diet, but will allow you a little room for the things you enjoy.
- Organic is good, but not necessary for everything. Fruits and veggies with thin skin should be organic, thick skin or husked produce is ok to skip the organic versions.
- Build your meals around the 3 macronutrients: protein, whole grain carbs, and heart healthy fats